About Privacera Discovery
Privacera Discovery crawls targeted data sources to identify and applies metadata labels called tags to potentially sensitive data, such as credit card numbers or email addresses. Access Manager Tag Policies can then be created so that user access can be controlled and monitored. Privacera Discovery is a standard product component of Privacera Platform and is available and enabled by default in PrivaceraCloud.
A more complete overview of Privacera Discovery features along with in-depth instructions and explanations can be found in the Privacera Discovery User Guide.
Use the following instructions to get started with Privacera Discovery. See the Privacera Discovery User Guide for more detailed information.
Privacera Discovery is enabled by default for a new PrivaceraCloud account.
It can be disabled or enabled by either the account owner or the administrator.
To disable/enable Privacera Discovery:
- Navigate to Settings > Account.
- Under the Discovery heading, toggle Enable Discovery to ON or OFF.
Configure Data Source Connection#
Discovery scan targets must first be connected to your account. See Settings: Datasource: Discovery for setup and configuration instructions.
In Settings: Datasource, each new data source is known as a datasource application, and is created in a namespace known as a datasource system. user defined namespace. For example, in a datasource system named Discovery, after adding three new Discovery data sources you will see three new applications as follows:
Discovery Scan Targets#
Once a data source has been connected, subsets of that data source can be configured as scan targets. Using the navigation menu, click Discovery: Data Source to add specific databases and tables to be scan targets.
- Open Discovery: Data Source. Data Sources connected in Settings: Datasource are listed under APPLICATIONS on the left named systemname-<applicationname as shown below. Click an APPLICATION (Data Source) on the left to select it.
- Click + Add+ to define a subset of that data source for scanning.
- Enter the database name (database or for Snowflake database.schema) or wildcard asterisk for all databases.
- Enter one or more comma-separated table names or wildcard asterisk for all tables. Wildcard asterisks can also be used in table names as prefix, suffix, or inside the name.
See Privacera Discovery User Guide: Data Source Scanning: Enable a Data Source for Scan for more detailed instructions and options.
Start Scan - Observe Status#
After a scan target is established, it can be scanned. Each database/table set is listed by row, under Scanning Details. The columns are: Database, Tables, Scan, and Actions.
Click a Scan box to initiate a scan. The scan will be scheduled, confirmed with two status messages as shown below.
Completion status for this scan and all prior scans, along with various statistics is found at Discovery: Scan Status.
See Privacera Discovery User Guide: Data Source Scanning: Scan Status for more detailed information.